Sunday, January 19, 2014

Buddhism and Shamanism

Who is The Buddha?  Are YOU The Buddha?
In addition to being a shamanic practitioner I am also ordained as a Buddhist Samana in the Hongaku Jodo Compassionate Lotus tradition.  The word “shaman” is generally believed to have originated from the Evenk language (Tungusic) of North Asia.   I think (and because I’m not a linguist I just 'think" because I don't know) that they may have gotten the world from India via China.  After all “sramana” (श्रमण) is a Sanskrit work and “Samana” (समण ) is a Pali word; and both words mean “one who strives” although it is also taken by some to mean, “one who knows”.
There are some surprising parallels between shamanism and Buddhism.  For example, when compared to the “Book” religions, Buddhism and shamanism have a surprising lack of formal doctrines.  In addition, the Buddha avoided speculations about the existence of deity.  His dying words are reported to have been, "Be a lamp unto yourselves." or in other words, be your own light, your own authority, your own Buddha.  A common Zen Koan attributed to Linji is, “If you meet the Buddha, kill him.”  Zen master Shunryu Suzuki wrote in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, “Kill the Buddha if the Buddha exists somewhere else. Kill the Buddha, because you should resume your own Buddha nature.  One is only able to see a Buddha as he exists in separation from Buddha, the mind of the practitioner is thus still holding onto apparent duality.”
Apparent duality means separation.  I am me, and you are you, and we are both separate.  Both shamanic practitioners and Buddhists see the inherent oneness in all things.  You are and I are not separate.  To quote the Beatles in The Walrus, “I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.”  In addition to oneness, Buddhist and shamanic practitioners share some other common views.
The attitude of non-duality gives both traditions a deep sense of intimacy with the natural world.  My training by Andean shamans gave me an understand and respect for the spirits of the natural world.  When The Buddha attained his enlightenment he was challenged by demons who questioned, “You have no right to the seat of enlightenment.  Who bears witness to your right?”  The Buddha touched the ground with his finger  and Earth thundered back, “I bear witness!”
When I want to take a shamanic journey I enter the earth.  When a monk asked Master Gensha where to enter Zen the Master responded with a question, “Can you hear the babbling brook?”.  The monk replied, “Yes.” and Master Gensha told him, “Then enter there.”
As a Buddhist when I meditate I close off the outside world and enter an inner world, or in Zen terminology, to take a step backwards. Meditation is not an end unto itself.  Rather it is a way of training the mind to avoid needless attachment, to free my mind from distractions, and to just be.  Way too often I am a human doing not a human being.  Meditation gives me a chance to just be.  Listening to the drum in a shamanic journey also frees my mind from other external and internal distractions so that I can just be in an alternate reality.
Many Buddhist, including Zen and Tibetan, take the bodhisattva vow, a vow to postpone personal liberation to help others achieve enlightenment.  Essentially it means that I vow not to enter nirvana until we can all enter together.  Traditional shamans live in a tribal setting and their role is to serve their tribe or community.  Shamanic practitioners live outside this close tribal setting but I see the world as my “tribe” and my role is one of service (one of the reasons I left a promising career in public accounting to become an academic, and why I have abandoned my academic career several times to accept roles in development projects in lesser-developed countries in places most people would not go on vacation).  Service to others is everything. 
It doesn't really matter where you serve.  I doesn't matter if you serve your family, your community or the world.  What matters is that you serve others.  Think globally, act locally and find ways to serve in whatever path you follow to be of service to others.  Here are some questions to meditate on today:
1.     What path do I follow?
2.     How can I best describe it?
3.     Why do I follow it?  (Because my parents did the same is probably not a very good answer.)
4.     How can I be of service to others as I walk my path?
Peace,

Dr. Dave / Keisho Ananda

No comments: