Monday, February 9, 2015

You Are Enough

Some days I wake up confused.  Have you ever laid in bed wondering which was was out?  It happened to me this morning so I just took a minute and enjoyed the sense of confusion.  It got me thinking though about how confused the world can be sometimes and how that affects us.

For example, I was raised in a Christian home (although I left that faith long ago) where I was told that I was empty.  I need to find God, accept Christ and they would fill me up.  No wonder I spent years feeling confused and unworthy.  My rejection of my parents' faith led me to Eastern religions and I became a Buddhist monk only to discover that rather then being empty I was too full and I need to let go and empty myself.  If I use to be empty how could I now be too full; confused again.

That lead me back to the early 1970s when I worked on a project in Bolivia and spent my free time wandering the altiplano and the foothills of the Andes.  I found people who were neither too full nor too empty.  From my materialistic point of view they didn't have anything yet they were complete and happy so I started to spend time with their wise people, curanderos and brujas, talking with them and learning from them and along the way learned their language (Quechua) and started to see the world as they saw it.

For the next thirty years I took every excuse I could find to return to Bolivia and Peru, usually as a participant on a development project, but really so that I could learn more of the wisdom of the Andes.  One of the key teachings that I received from don Juan Carlos was that I was neither too full nor too empty.  That I was enough.  That I, like everyone and everything around me was full of Spirit and all that I need to do was remember and by remembering I would connect with all.

Spend some time today to connecting to the wisdom and Spirit within you and then sit in a quiet space and open to all that is good that surrounds you and interpenetrates your life.


Wisdom is Everywhere

No comments: