Thursday, February 9, 2012

Longevity

A recent United Nations report identified life expectancies by country.  If you live in the United States and think that we came out on top then think again.  Here are the top ten countries:

Rank     Country
1            Japan
2            Hong Kong (PRC)
3            Iceland
4            Switzerland
5            Australia
6            Spain
7            Sweden
8            Israel
9            Macau (PRC)
10          France (metroplolitan)

So, where is the United States you ask?  It was number 38, yes you read that right, number 38 on the list.  That means that there are 37 other countries in the world today where you would live longer.  I expect that for you to live longer in any of those 37 countries you would have to give up the SAD (Standard American Diet) and eat like the locals.  Not a bad idea . . . and one that you can implement here quite easily.

Here are my recomendations:

1.  Eat close to the farm.  I don't mean that you should move to a farm, or even become the farmer's next-door neighbor.  Rather, eat food that is as natural and minimally processed as possible.

2.  Move.  No, not to the farm.  Just move your body.  Move for at least 30 minutes a day.  If you are like then you spend way too much time just moving your fingers in front of a computer screen.  Move your whole body.  My daily goal is 30 minutes of cardio on a bike (stationary or moving depending on the weather), and 30 minutes of weight lifting.  That daily hour is my gift to myself. 

3.  Drink and then drink more.  I don't mind if you have a glass of red wine with your dinner (how do you think the metroploitan French ended up in the top ten).  However, please make sure that you drink at least eight big glasses of purified water a day. 

4.  Reduce stress.  The United States, according to a number of studies, is the most individualistic county in the world.  I translate that as the most competitive.  For example, when at the gym I am usually aware that the people on both sides of me are looking at my screen to see what level I'm at and how many RPMs I'm pumping.  They feel the need to at least match, if not exceed whatever level I'm at.  Consequently I have taken to covering the screen on my bike with a towel . . . I know what level I'm at.  One good way to reduce stress is through meditation.  Another great way is to use movement as a meditation tool.  Tai Chi and Qi Gong are two great ways to move and meditate (reduce stress) at the same time.  Check the resource page on my web site for a free PDF downloadable Qi Gong manual.

5.  Maintain a healthy weight.  Both a low-carb, high-protein diet and a high-carb, low-protein diet (Japanese diet) seem to work as long as you avoid simple carbs (I avoid white foods like bread, pasta, white rice, and white potatoes because they are all high glycemic foods, and anything containing high fructose corn syrup - HFCS).  Did you know, for example, that white bread has a higher glycemic index, 70, than does a Mars Bar, 65.  Lentils on the other hand have a glycemic index of only 28.  Did you have a bowl of corn flakes for breakfast?  Corn flakes have a glycemic index of 84, ouch.

So, once again, my top five suggestions are:

1.  Eat close to the farm
2.  Move your body
3.  Drink lots of purified water
4.  Reduce stress
5  Maintain a health weight.


I'll be posting more about HFCS in the near future so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Rosa Crystal said...

Very interesting! I am trying to eat less carbs and high protein diet, I think it is working..Thanks!!!
~Rosa